Thursday, March 17, 2011

It's been a while

As most of you know I had decompression surgery on the 24th of February. I was in the hospital for 5 days. The first day was a BREEZE but that was naturally due to the morphine pump. It didn’t help that the ICU was full so I was actually in the recovery area for 2 days. This was pretty awesome because my nurse was literally next to my bed the entire time. When the doctor said that it was ok for me to be moved to a room I was a little nervous because I had had someone there 24/7 at my bed side.
So in comes the transportation team. This part was one of the worst parts of the journey at the hospital. As the two GIRLS were wheeling me up to my room they were talking about the best places to hide so that they don’t get called to transport people. Really? I mean come on. Oh, and it gets better. So we get to the room and they move my IV and catheter over and tell me to move to the other bed. Ok, so I just had flippin neurosurgery and they want me to move myself. (for those that haven’t read or researched my other blogs, after this particular surgery, increasing intrathoracic pressure is a big no-no because it causes an instant headache where you feel like your brain is going to explode) so, I move myself and immediately call the nurse… no one comes. At this point my catheter bag is full and begins to back up. So I call the nurse again…. No one comes. Well if any of you know my mom, she rocks. We call the nurse AGAIN (this is in a span of about 2 hours) and says that she wants the charge nurse immediately and lo and behold, in comes the nurse. She, nurse lazy ass, comes in and says that they page the LPN and I said that she never came and if she didn’t empty the catheter bag that she needed to take it out. At that time, she did her job and emptied it. I mean come one! GEEZ!
After that the next shift of nurses came and it was as smoothing sailing as it could be for 2 days. I was PUMPPED that I was getting out and then bam… the pain meds decided that they didn’t want to work anymore. So they had to give me IV pain meds which makes for an extra day in the hospital. I was disappointed but I was also kind of scared to go home. So the next day came and I was discharged. Here are some pictures of before and after the bandages were removed.

During my visit I received tons of flowers and plants and had lots of wonderful visits from GREAT friend and family!!!
So the saga continues. I will save you all from the insane bathroom issues (your welcome) that came with the pain meds. Ugh. But after perfecting the right combination of meds I am feeling much better. Not top notch by any means, but better!
I went to my wound check last week to be told that my incision is healing perfectly and I even got a new “sympathy hair cut” from my aunt Angie to help to cover some of my scar.
My latest doctor’s appointment was to check to see how the swelling of the optical nerves is progressing/regressing and got some awesome news. My left optical nerve is back to normal and my right isn’t far from it. Although it does have some slight swelling, it has improved tremendously!
Next week I have an appointment with the neurosurgeon for the actual post-op check up and that appointment should determine when I can start driving again and when I can go back to work.
I know that staying home all the time might sound like a pretty great idea to some but it’s not my cup of tea. While I might complain about all the driving to bring kids to school and dealing with drama at work, I would take that over being home all day alone ANYDAY!!! Hopefully on my next post I will have some more good news! FINGERS CROSSED!!!

3 comments:

  1. SO glad you are feeling better! But, you totally forgot to mention the TP saga and the latex glove head piece episode! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, so I don't understand WHY I WAS a follower but now I'm not. I had to go back and re-follow the blog. Weird!

    I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy that you are feeling better!

    I completely understand the idea that you'd rather be at work dealing with their drama than stuck at home, but I can't help but be thankful that you found this problem out and had it corrected before something more serious happened!

    I'm ready for you to get back into the swing of things. We all miss your work e-mails and I miss our lunch dates!

    Crossing my fingers for good news and that you get released for work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure it's in your blog somewhere, but what hospital were you in - so I hopefully NEVER go there! So glad you're doing so well - you sound like you are yourself again!

    ReplyDelete