Thursday, January 20, 2011

Decompression Surgery

As most of you know I met with the Neurosurgeon yesterday. He advised me that in his medical opinion that the surgery was necessary and showed me the proof via MRI image.  When Dr. Bui (Neurosurgeon) showed me my image verses a normal brain MRI, I was amazed at the difference.  Below is a picture of a normal MRI and a picture of my MRI so that you can somewhat see the comparison.
Note in the first picture, which is a normal brain MRI, all of the black area around the cerebellum. That is the area that your cerebral spinal fluid flows and brings nutrients to your brain and spinal cord.



Note in this picture, there isn’t much of the black area around the cerebellum. Also note how the cerebellum isn’t in its tight little bundle, it is more sagging into the brain stem area. This sagging is causing my brain to not be able to get rid of the extra cerebral spinal fluid because, in an essence, I have a plumbing problem!



The surgery that I have to have is NOT BRAIN SURGURY as there is no manipulation of the brain. It’s simply making room for the sagging cerebellum. Decompression surgery is performed under general anesthesia. It consists of removing the back of the foramen magnum ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foramen_magnum  ) and often the back of the first few vertebrae to the point where the cerebellar tonsils ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebellar_tonsils  ) end. This provides more space for the brainstem, spinal cord, and descended cerebellar components. A tissue graft is often spliced into this opening to provide even more room for the unimpeded passage of CSF.
I know that this sounds complicated, but the doctor is very confident that it will be a standard procedure and that he anticipates no problems. He also stated that he believes that there will be no need for a second surgery. (YAY!!)
SO, the surgery date is….. FEBRUARY 21, 2011. Details on that to come!


As for recovery, the Dr. is confident that I won't be out more than 4 weeks! and THAT is awesome news!

10 comments:

  1. WooHoo! Did he say how long recovery would be or how long he expects the surgery to last?

    ReplyDelete
  2. added that info to the post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im relieved that he is so confident and that he can handle it in only one surgery. I can't wait till this is all over and behind you. Love you Steph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only 4 weeks of being out of work?!?!?!?!?!? That's amazing considering we were anticipating 8 weeks plus! Wow! Scary, still very scary, but I feel better about this after hearing that the doctor feels that this is going to routine and that you won't require a second surgery. Lets pray for your nerves to be at ease until the surgery and that you have no complications! I'm ready to get this over with!

    when should you get your MRI photos?

    ReplyDelete
  5. the dr emailed the images to me so now the second image is of my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! That's a big old brain you got there! haha. :)

    I'm so glad that this doctor is very positive about your procedure, and also specializes in it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is good news Steph. I will keep you in my prayers. Good Luck with all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow steph i had no idea!!! prayers will be sent your way for sure!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that is awesome news buddy thought about u all n ight last night but figured u had to repeat ur self enough explaining to people last night so i figured i would wait till today for ur bloglet me know if u need anything and i will keep praying for u love ya

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ amber: that's right! big ole brain!
    @ lacie: thanks! it's just craziness that i'm going through this!!!
    @buddy: thank you!!!!
    @shelly: i know! promise i will! LOVE you too!

    ReplyDelete